Tuesday, February 23, 2010

To the Clinic

We went to Cleveland's Cole Eye Institute today to have Naomi's eye's looked at. Last time we went it was because she was acting like she couldn't focus. That ended up being Depakote. Once we weaned her off the Depakote that behavior stopped.
But when she was on absolutely no medication she was flinching. She would close her eyes and turn her head quickly like something was flying at her. So I figured, lets rule out vision!
Two years ago when she had her last eye exam she was supposed to see Dr. Traboulsi but he was called out of the country for some reason. She was seen by a resident and another Dr. came in and double checked and she was fine then too.
So today was our first visit with Dr. Elias Traboulsi . In true Cleveland Clinic fashion, he was wonderful! Again we were first seen by another Dr. and he thought every thing was fine but Traboulsi came in and wanted to double check.
I'm so used to holding Naomi down. I held her in my lap and when he was trying to look in her eyes she was screaming. I held her chin and at the same time reached up and pulled down her eye lid with my thumb, with out him asking me to do so. He moved to the other eye and I did the same. He stood up looked at me and said "you're hired!". That made me and Bill laugh.
After he told us everything was indeed fine he asked me if they'd found an underlying reason for her seizures. Was it mitochondrial? I said no we'd had testing done. He asked me if something had been done and I said I wasn't sure but she see's Dr. Parikh and he has ran all the metabolic and mitochondrial test. He said the test he wondered about would be called a metabolic panel. I remembered that one, and assured him it had been done. He said he's a geneticist. I love how their Dr's double check everything.
Who thinks they'll go to the eye Dr. and get a suggestion about neurology?
He said the flinching could be part of her seizures. I definitely think it's something neurological or maybe a better way to say it is it's part of the sensory issues she has.
I think it's interesting when she was taking no drugs she was doing this. At the same time she was seeming to be picking up more things. Then we started the Zonegran and lots of things seemed to slow. So maybe it slowed something in this too? Who knows. It's all a mystery!
I do know that other times when she's come off of meds I have seen her look at things she views every day like she has never seen them before in her life!
I'm ready to stop the Zonegran, her seizures are predictable right now. But there's a few things about the meds I hate. One just being getting her to swallow them! It's a fight!
Well that was my day. Hope everyone else did something other than go to the eye Dr.

1 comment:

SuzanSayz said...

He does sound wonderful. I guess if you have to spend the day seeing doctors, at least it's good for it to be with doctors that really do care.