Saturday, January 9, 2010

Naomi November to now
























Well in November we met with our dietitian and neurologist. Naomi was having about 30 seizures a day then. The dietitian had no recommendations and was pleased with Naomi's growth over the last year. The neurologist wants to try the drug Zonegran on her. She does not want to push the dosage because she feels Naomi is at risk of a sedative effect and that will not help her development. The neurologist wanted to talk to her nurses about how best to administer it to Naomi, since she's on the diet and I can't just go to the fridge and get a spoonful of jelly and mix the meds in that so it'll slide right down her throat. That's the only way I used to be able to get meds in her. Unless they could be crushed and mixed with water.
Well a few weeks went by and I never heard anything and one day the nurse that has taken over for Martin called.
Martin was a saint! He was everything you want in a nurse. He didn't keep you waiting. He's obsessive compulsive with his work. Not only that he'll help you work around the system if that's what it takes. When our Dr. didn't address the carnitine deficiency he told me to contact our metabolic/mitochondrial Dr. and they would get Naomi started on carnitine.
So back to the new girl. She called about some paper work, but then I asked about Zonegran and what was going on with that. She checked the Dr.'s notes from our visit and saw that it had been recommended so she was sending the Dr. a message. Then we never heard anything again. So finally Naomi got sick with that bad stomach bug in December. After the stomach bug she had some glorious days where she had very few seizures and she seemed to be on a streak. The Sunday before Christmas she only had 1 seizure all day long! So December 23 I talked to the nurse and said I'd like the prescription, but want to hold off giving it to Naomi. She was on a streak and I didn't want to tip the apple cart. She talked to the Dr. and got back to me on December 30. The Dr. was fine with holding off. Well, I told her things had changed and Naomi was going downhill and I wanted the prescription. I realized it was a holiday weekend and I was fine with waiting until Monday for a prescription. So Monday came and I contacted Naomi's dietitian and told her Naomi was going downhill and asked about getting a glucometer to see what was going on. She was fine with that and emailed the keto nurse who then emailed the new nurse to see if we could get a prescription for it. Well I never heard anything so Wednesday I just called our pediatrician and had her give me a prescription. I got a meter that tested glucose and ketones. Then I emailed the keto nurse and told her. She emailed me a reply that she'd notify the nurse, the Dr. was on vacation and she'd been waiting for her to get back for approval. Well let me tell you, if that was Martin he would have called and told me that the Dr. was on vacation and if I wanted it to go through our pediatrician. So then on Thursday I get a call from the nurse on my answering machine that she's not sure what is going on. She got a message about a meter, but no one on their end had ordered one. I'd have to go through my primary care physician and she hoped she wasn't getting the message wrong. That she hoped this wasn't about getting a prescription for urine ketone test strips. UGH! I was so aggravated. What I ended up doing was sending an email to someone I know that works near our neurology department and asked what was going on up there! I just wanted to know, should I be worried. What should I do. So the person I know talked to Martin and he said call, call, call. Be persistent and if I feel like messages aren't getting sent correctly to make and appointment and meet with the doctor face to face. Especially if the seizures get worse.
So Thursday morning I was a little pissy when the nurse called. Then she called me back Thursday night. The Dr. was stuck in the suburbs because of a snow storm but she wanted to review Naomi's chart and she'd give us an answer on Friday. The nurse said "I will call you Friday". Well Friday at 3 p.m. I hadn't heard anything. So I called up there and left a message to see what was going on. Finally at 5:10 my phone rang and it was a different nurse from our Dr.'s office and she said the Dr. had reviewed the chart and proceeded to ask where I want the Zonegran called in to. Then gave me a schedule for titration. Shewww! Glad that's over!
But in the mean time!!!! Our dietitian upped Naomi's calories to 1300 a day, which seems like a lot! So Friday night her last meal I gave her the higher calorie meal. Twenty five more calories than her previous meals. It's now Saturday morning and not long after waking at 6, Naomi had a drop seizure. Then we came down stairs and I checked her ketones, which were 3.2. They aim for her to be 4+ when she's on the diet. Her glucose was 72. It was actually higher than that when she was sick and her seizures weren't so bad so I'm not so worried about that. It's now after 8 a.m. and Naomi has hardly went more than 10 minutes with out having some sort of seizure. Myoclonics are what I"m seeing. It's like her ab muscles quit working and she just kind of goes forward then falls back. But, she's very chatty. Saying ball, playing ball, just really present. So we'll see how this goes! I really feel like she fell out of ketosis before right after she was sick. Her breath had that rancid smell they get when they first start the diet, before the ketones kick in. Then the more of her meals the ate the worse she got.
We'll see. Nothing I can do but wait. The pharmacy doesn't carry Zonegran 25 mg, so they have to order it. With the weekend it'll be Monday before they get the shipment. So that means it'll be Tuesday before I can even start it anyway.

3 comments:

David said...

sounds like a very frustrating experience!

SuzanSayz said...

You have my complete and utter sympathy Jenny. Shawn's case manager with DSHS, who is also the one I'M supposed to be able to get info from. AND if I have questions SHE is my one resource, NEVER calls me back. I can leave her two or three messages between Monday and Tuesday and by Friday she still hasn't called me. About a month ago I had some pretty urgent things to talk to her about. Of course I called her number, of course all I got was her voice mail. So out of frustration I hit zero which they tell you to do if you need help right away. Trust me hitting zero?, you usually get JUST what you would expect. Another voice mail saying to leave a message. Well the DSHS Gods must have been watching out for me that day because not only did someone answer but it was another case manager and she knew EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! That's another thing about "our" case manager, she never knows a thing, or if I actually ever catch her in she will always say (honestly EVERY DAMN TIME!)Oh hi Susan I was just getting ready to CALL you.
LIAR!
Anyway this wonderful "other" Case Manager was not only able to answer almost all of my questions, but she was apalled when I told her how hard of a time I had, ever getting a hold of Kristi, (our Case Manager's name) She very kindly told me that she was shocked. She informed me that they were absolutely required to return ALL calls in 24 hours at the very most.

Kristi had NEVER told me that little fact.

And then, guess what?

Kristi called me within an hour of me talking to the GOOD Case Manager. She was just so solicitous and friendly and acted like she had just that day gotten my message and wanted to make sure she got right back to me.

Yeah Right!

So Jenny my friend, I can honestly say that I FEEL YOUR PAIN. How horrible and sad for you to lose Martin. Is there anyway to work things out to get him back? Would you have to change Doctors? I'm so sorry that you are having to put up with apathetic incompetence after having had someone who really truly cared.
Hmm, this is really long isn't it. I'm half tempted to take it off comments and send it as an e-mail instead. But I guess you'll get to read it either way.
Good luck with the new nurse. Hopefully she'll do better and you won't need it! (the luck that is)

Lisa Christine said...

Ah....zonegran....that's one of the ones we have tried too (with no luck....obviously) Elisabeth is also on Carnitine.

I will hope that things go smoother in the future and that the zonegran will work great for Naomi!