Sunday, January 3, 2010

Priorities

I was talking to a girlfriend this week about cell phones.
I was telling her I saw a mom who looked like her family didn't have much and she brought her child in for therapy. Now this is at 9 a.m. and that boy looked filthy. How can a kid look like he's played outside all day at 9 a.m? Then the mom sits down, pulls out her cell phone, opens it and proceeds to spend the next half an hour watching a television show on her phone!
The phone had to cost some money, but that's a one time expense. So I don't even have internet on my phone! I mean just how connected do we have to be! I actually have a very old plan that I don't want to change because it's cheap. But it doesn't have unlimited texting like newer plans. So I got rid of texting all together. Can't text at all. I know, how do I live right?!
My girlfriend was saying she sees so many people who have rotten teeth and need dental attention and there they go pulling out an I phone! Seriously! Save that money and put it away so you can have something that matters!
Now tax season is coming up and you know there will be a run on new cell phones and big screen tv's! Last year a friend of Isaiah's said they got a new TV. This is a kid who I had given several things to him and his siblings, including socks, because they'd show up here before school and have none. So what do they do with their tax money? New shoes for the kids? Put money away for the laundry mat so they have clean socks? Nope. They pay over $700 for a new TV. Which the kids say they needed because while the old one worked it would get lines across the screen sometimes. OK, replace it, but $700! Get a smaller TV! They lived good for the month of January but by mid February they were broke, again.
This terrible economy that we are going through is rough. But I really hope it has made an adjustment in peoples spending and they will think twice before they go out and spend hundreds on a new phone or tv, and not have money for their kids lunches.

1 comment:

Fawn said...

I don't text, either. We have the most basic phone available. Sometimes I feel behind the times, but cripes, there's already enough to do.