Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Substitute Car




Isaiah calls it our substitute car. I'm thankful we got a nice new vehicle. It's a 2010 Dodge Avenger with only 4000 miles on it. Still has that new car smell. It'll be ours until Tuesday. That's how long they predict it to take to fix our car. We've had it since October 21.Right now it's in the body shop. Over $6000 in damage was done. The tow truck guy said if the air bags would have went off they would have totaled it. I guess those are like $2000 each and our car has 4 of them. The collision repair company that has it gave me an i.d. number and I can go on their website and there will be updates and photos showing the progress.
Isaiah likes the substitute car. I like it, but I wouldn't buy one. The thought occurred to me that if I were to buy a new car I should rent that model first. I like the looks of this car but learned quickly the trunk isn't what I need. I hate those black things on the back seat windows. They make for a terrible blind spot. The lights don't automatically come on at night. I leaned that the hard way! I can't remember the last car I had that didn't have lights that came on when the sun set.


Naomi had to have a new car seat. Once a car seat is in a wreck you aren't supposed to use it again. I went to Toys R Us and bought the new seat and couldn't get the box in the trunk! I had to take the seat out of the box and put it in the back seat. Then I had to break down the box and lay it in the trunk.
I miss my sunroof. I miss the display that tells me what temperature it is outside and the heated seats not to mention remote start on a cold morning. All of that was standard on our car. This one is, well not bare bones. It has power windows but it's basic and I'm someone who generally likes that in a car. Less options, less things to go wrong.
I also miss the Thomas Trackside Tunes and Mickey Mouse Playhouse CD's that are in the CD player. They keep Naomi quiet. I also miss my CD that I won from Susan. Isaiah misses it too. He asked "where's your music?". That's what he meant, he plays the Grace Kelly song over and over. This car only takes 1 cd at a time. Mine holds 6.
Over the sun visor I found a card from a funeral. Someone must have rented the car to go to a funeral in Pittsburgh. Isaiah actually found it. The rental agreement was up there too. Isaiah said "what's this junk?". Then he said "This car is just like Papaws truck. He's always got stuff over in the visor." Not so much! Papaws is so much worse!


When I look at the photos of it in the body shop the doors are off and it's covered in a tarp. I wonder what they did with all the crap in the back seat. Bill was going to clean the car out. There's a ton of books and loose (clean) diapers. Not to mention my empty Starbucks cup from that morning! I hope they throw that stuff away. I can't imagine what's growing in that cup if they don't!!!

3 comments:

David said...

$6000 of damage? oh my gosh. have fun with the avenger!

SuzanSayz said...

I feel the same way about rental cars. It's kinda fun and different to drive a new car for a while, but you always end up missing the good things about your own car.
I'm so flattered that you like my CD so well. If Shawn had his way it would be the only CD we would ever listen to in the car. Have you gone to You Tube to watch the video for Grace Kelly? I absolutely LOVE it. It features this darling young girl, whom I just love. Every scene that she is in are the best.

Lisa Christine said...

Here's hoping that the Starbuck's cup is gone :)