Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cooking

I don't mind cooking at all. With Naomi it's a little more difficult. I can't leave her alone and I can't have her in the kitchen with me. So I have to put her in the high chair to play with a puzzle or book. I don't like leaving her there too long though. So I can't get much done.
Thankfully I have a friend who has invited us to Thanksgiving. My parents will be there also. I don't have to take anything but I am going to make one thing. Here it is. It's a Paula Deen recipe

Pineapple Casserole

1 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
Two 20- ounce cans pineapple chunks, drained (reserve 6 Tablespoons juice)
1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
8 Tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and flour. Gradually stir in cheese. Add Pineapple and stir well. Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish. Combine cracker crumbs, butter and pineapple juice and spread it on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.


Now, the first time I read this recipe I thought "cheese and pineapple? yuk!". Let me tell you there is no yuk! It is soooo good! Doesn't a topping of crackers and butter make everything good!?!

3 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

Whenever I find myself at a salad bar I first look to see if there is cheese Mozarella is best) plus pineapple. Add ranch dressing and that is one of my favorite salads. So instead of looking at that recipe and thinking "GROSS", I thought, "most likely,
yum." Of course then I did a quick tlly in my head of thefat and calories and decided the guilt wouldn't be worth it. But, if someone else ever brings it to a dinner I'm at I will enjoy it greatly I'm sure. For some reason when it's myself making something really unhealthy I never can really enjoy it.

David said...

i was thinking 'yuk' too, but then i realized that the combination works just fine on pizza!

Lisa said...

I make this every year and it's always such a hit. After a while you learn you don't have to measure a thing and just go by whether or not something looks like it has enough or needs more. =)