Monday, September 22, 2008

Back to Hosp #1

I'm referring to it as Children's hospital #1 because it is a very good pediatric hospital, but, it's neurodevelopmental center is, in my opinion, lacking. I've ran across several other parents who've had bad experiences there too.
So I call CH #1 and make an appointment with neurologist Dr. "E". I've read that maybe an EEG won't be necessary before they put her on meds, so lets see. Well my appointment was for Oct. 31, 2007 but Dr. E had a family emergency so they called to cancel my appointment and told me I could make an appointment to see his clinical nurse. I agreed because I felt my daughter needed to be seen and because I wanted to know if these were seizures and if so when could we do the EEG. So Nov. 2, my mom, my daughter and I went to CH#1 to meet with this nurse. I left in tears and here's why... every time I'd respond to a question she'd react in a way that made me feel she was about to roll her eyes! She was rude, condescending and when I tried to tell her things I'd noticed and felt were important she wouldn't listen. It ends up, the fact that my daughter has her seizures mostly when tired or just waking up, is VERY important!!! I even took 2 different videos I'd captured of my daughter having her seizuers. The nurse wore a beaded bracelet that looped around her arm about 3 times and when she'd reach toward my 18month old of course she'd try to grab it and she got mad about that! Hello! Take off the bracelet lady! She asked me if my daughter could say frog since she had brought along her frog toy, I said "No, it's name is Lily." she didn't understand. She said "I'm a professional" which is a big red flag. Who's she trying to convince? Her bedside manner was abysmal, and at a pediatric hospital, that is just plain WRONG! Before we left she said she felt my daughter definitely needed an EEG, she felt she was having atonic cluster seizures, she also during this time hinted my daughter may be autistic. May I point out that during the visit my daughter was frequently seizing because the appt was at 1pm, she had woken at 6 am and slept 20 minutes in the car before being woken by a siren, and like I said her sleep seems to effect her seizures. So for her to pile all this up on me, it was a little much. Then she acted as if the EEG needed to be done ASAP and walked out and told the receptionist that she wanted to be present for the EEG. I sat down to make the appt. and the receptionist looked at me and I broke out in tears. My mom didn't know what to do. Then he said "we have Nov 26". How's that for follow up care? They act like an EEG is an emergency, but you know what, why not take your child home watch her seizure for the next 3 weeks, then bring her back in when it's convenient for us. All the while telling us it's imperative that she be sleep deprived so she falls asleep during the test. OK, how do they propose I drive a sleepy child an hour and twenty minutes without her nodding off! In my opinion if they want her asleep, they should first ask the parent "whens her normal nap time?" and schedule around that. It was 3 weeks away for goodness sake. So I cried on the way home, my daughter was so sleepy she fell asleep in the stroller on the way to the car. I thought too bad they couldn't just have done the EEG now, but I guess hospitals can't just do that without notice. I got home, and the more I thought about that nurse the madder I got. I talked to my neighbor who's an RN and trusted friend and she was appalled by the nurses behavior and told me I should call and tell them how I felt. So I did, I called up there and told them under no circumstances did I want that lady as part of my daughters care. They said they'd make sure of it. Then the more I thought of it I decided I was so mad that no matter what any of them told me, I'd always second guess their opinion. I immediately started searching online. The appt. was on Friday so I had all weekend to search. My original thought was only to get an EEG done sooner than the 26th. Well I searched and we're lucky, in Ohio within an hour and a half from our house there are 4 pediatric hospitals. I chose one that had a clinic close to our home and a world known reputation. This is where things started going right!!!!!!!!!

No comments: