Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tips

If your child takes a sprinkle type medication and you have to fight them to take it, sprinkle it on jelly. I use Smuckers strawberry jelly in the squeeze bottle and just squeeze some onto a spoon then sprinkle the meds on. I have to hold my girl on my lap wait for her to get mad and open her mouth then sneak it in. The jelly just slides on down her throat whether she likes it or not. I've found other soft foods too runny and messy. The jelly does the trick every time, just don't use a huge glob.



If your insurance won't cover something like ours wouldn't cover Carnitor because it's a nutritional supplement, don't give up. Call your human resources and see who you have to write to change that. I called the human resources at my husbands job and they told me to write a letter and they'd present it to the main office which is states away, but that there was little chance they'd change anything. Well, I figured why bother with the locals. I looked up the phone number for the main office talked directly to the powers that be and and asked exactly who I needed to send the letter to. I sent it and they changed the policy. Instead of paying over $50 after insurance it only cost about $13! Don't give up! I sent them more info than they'd ever need but I wanted them to know, they pay for the drug that could destroy her liver, why won't they pay for the drug that works to protect it? They also reimbursed us for what we'd already spent.



In the USA, EVERY state has to offer a program to help families with medical costs. I'm not talking about Medicare/Medicaid. I'm talking about programs that are not based on income they're based on need. In Ohio that program in called Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps or BCMH for short. It's available through the local health department. It works as a second insurance and pays 100% after your primary insurance. http://www.odh.state.oh.us/



Your child may qualify for special services check with the health department. In Ohio, if they're young enough check with Help Me Grow, they'll help your child get all the possible help they can!


You are your child's advocate, question EVERYTHING! Research enough to have an understanding of whats going on.


Ask your Dr. all the questions you can think of! If you see something on the Internet, don't immediately take it as truth. Get an educated opinion on what you've read.

If you owe the hospital anything, call and ask if they'll give you a discount if you pay it in full. I don't care if it's only $50. It won't hurt to call.

Check your statements thoroughly! Don't pay them any more than your insurance says you have to. They need to write the rest off! You may have to do a 3 way call between you, your insurance and the billing department. It's effective!

If you don't feel comfortable with your child's Dr. -CHANGE! -Easy enough! If you have to drive an extra distance to get to a Dr. it is well worth it! If you don't feel comfortable with the Dr. you won't feel comfortable with his/her treatment.

That's all I can think of for now. Some seem like common sense, but I can't believe what I hear some parents say! After we met with Hosp #1 and I decided I didn't like them, I felt like they'd think I was neglecting my daughter because they wouldn't know I DID get her help, just not there. I'm sure they don't even know we're gone!

Last but not least, always remember there's someone out there worse off than you are!

No comments: