Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Well I tried!

I took Naomi to the preschool where she receives itinerant services to get her picture taken. A local photography studio was there taking school pictures and I squeezed my way in to try and get hers done. My thinking was, it's a special needs preschool, surely she won't be the only kid they need to do some tricks for so they get a good shot! Wrong. Typical school photography. Sit, smile, go. She doesn't work like that.
She had me sweating before we left the house! Know what I mean! How you're trying to get something done and your kid decides now is the time to get into everything and scream and cry when they're reprimanded? Then you get so worked up from chasing and handling them you just get to sweating from pure aggravation! It's 40 degrees outside too so working up a sweat shouldn't have been so easy!
She was in the dog food, screaming, crying just ugh!!!!!!! So finally I just took her out and put her in her car seat in the warmed up car and shut the door and let her get it out of her system while I ran back inside and grabbed all I needed to. A sippy cup, my keys, my purse etc... Then I jumped in the front seat put on a Thomas the Tank Engine CD and all was better.
I worried it wasn't a far enough drive to let her nose turn back to normal color and not the bright red it had become from her fit.
We got there and one of the classrooms was already lined up and getting their photo taken one by one. I'd of liked to have asked who sent their kid in shorts and a t-shirt! That poor child! Anyway back to mine! I took her in the room, sat her down and they had something on the floor like a little step for them to get up on a little stool. Well as soon as she figured out she could tap her feet on that and make noise, it was over. She couldn't pull her attention away. I moved it and she didn't like that. The photographer did take about 4 photos and I chose the best of the worst. There was no good. No smile, she wasn't comfortable and needed time to take in this new space she'd been taken to.
This is the first time since she was 1 yr. old that I've had a picture taken of her like this. I had planned on getting them taken at 18 months and we actually went, but the guy at Olan Mills had over booked apparently and we had to wait 1 hour which sent her hunger into overdrive and she wouldn't do anything but scream bloody murder because she was so hungry. So we gave up and left and then it was only a few months later and she started Depakote then Topamax and you don't want a picture of your child when they're doped up. Plus she has never been a sit down kind of kid! We need an action shot :) Time just slipped away and here we are 2 1/2 years later finally trying to get a picture of her.
This is officially going on my list of things I absolutely will not attempt to do alone with her! This list is getting long!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending both understanding and encouragement. I've found if you just snap a LOT of quick photos at home at least 1 or 2 turn out good enough to share.

Also, JC Penney's sometimes have more tolerant photo studios.

Wishing you good luck!
Barbara

SuzanSayz said...

That's sad that out of so much effort the reward didn't come. Maybe you should craigs list for a local amateur photographer who would be willing to come to your house and take pictures for either a minimal fee, like just paying for his film, or even for free. From my way of thinking it would really be a win-win situation. You stand a pretty good chance of getting a decent picture or two of Naomi, and he would get some valuable practice in working with difficult subjects.

Fawn said...

Sounds like you need to hire a photographer to chase the family around, like for a wedding or something! But you take some great photos of Naomi, anyway. :)

David said...

40 degrees? too cold!