Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What A Wreck

I took the following photos of our car from my living room!



Isaiah needed a protractor to finish his homework so Bill offered to run to Drug Mart. Naomi still had her socks on so we put her shoes on her and he took, he NEVER takes her along! This is the first time I can remember that he alone took her to the store, he usually just runs out the door and doesn't even think about taking her!
I was talking to mom on the phone, the windows were up because it was beautiful out and call waiting beeped in. I told mom "he is so helpless, I just sent him for a protractor!" So I clicked over and Bill said "call the police" my first thought for some reason was that Naomi had a seizure and fell in the store and was hurt or something. He said "I'm right out front of the house, someone rear ended me."I opened the front door and there they were. Naomi just sitting patiently, not crying, Bill had gotten out of the car. I was already talking to the police. As soon as I got off the line with them I ran out and grabbed Naomi out of the car and brought her in the house. She seemed fine, not crying, not bothered at all.
Bill knows it's just an accident but it's just such an inconvenience and we had just checked 2 days ago to see what the pay off was. We only have about 6 more payments, and Bill had said that it was nice to know we could just pay it off anytime if we wanted.
When the cop got there he the lady kept saying "I didn't see a turn signal". Meanwhile the signal is ding ding dinging away inside the car. Bill said a semi and other cars all went around and it looked like she was trying to go around but was going too fast or realized too late that he was sitting still. He just bit his tongue, his nerves are tied in a knot!
Luckily the rear passenger side took the largest impact, Naomi was sitting behind the drivers seat. The entire bumper and whole right panel is gone. The trunk was sticking straight up and it looked like the other side was just gone. The tail lights, everything on the passenger side is just gone. The back is pushed up into the tires so it wasn't drivable.
Thankfully I called our insurance and the lady's insurance and got the ball rolling. Our insurance pushed through everything so we could pick up a rental car tonight. Naomi has a busy day tomorrow and we can't be without a vehicle. The lady's insurance is supposed to contact me tomorrow after 10 am to fill me in on what's going on. But our insurance has already had it sent to a collision repair place they use.
She said she hit her brakes and such but there are NO skid marks, nothing. No squealing of brakes, it didn't seem like she even put the brakes on.
Our insurance said to get a new car seat because once they've been in a wreck they aren't to be used again and the insurance would reimburse us.
Well, thankfully everyone is okay. Bill's neck and shoulders are stiff. He thinks because he was looking in the rear view mirror and saw her coming and stiffened up when he realized she was not going to stop. But Naomi's silly as ever!