Sunday, October 4, 2009

Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy


OK, I live in an area where people hunt. Lots of people hunt! I know families where the mom, dad, kids and grandparents all get their hunting license every year. So I have no problem with hunting. There's a conservation aspect to it. If they didn't kill some of the deer the deer would starve, overpopulate and end up as constant road kill.

But this is different than sitting in a tree stand, waiting for a deer to come by and taking aim and maybe or maybe not striking the animal, depending on your skill.

I saw this story on the Today show this morning and it has bothered me. They said they set hooks out the day before. Then the 5 year old, his dad and a guide went out and found on one of the hooks this record setting gator. They used the winch to raise up the gator then the kid took his shot.

Isn't that a little like shooting a caged bear?

Picking off Tigers at the zoo?

That's exactly like leaving a fishing line laying in a pond all night then coming back in the morning and picking up the fish and shooting it! I mean that would be serious overkill, but it's the same thing! The gator was already caught! There's no aim. It's like hitting the broad side of a barn!

I know lots of folks around here would disagree with me, but 5 is too young to hunt and handle a riffle. No one could reasonably argue that a 5 year old has the decision making skills to handle a deadly weapon.
I know Daniel Boone and historical figures were hunting at a very early age, but I got news for you, we have a little something called grocery stores now. There's no need for a 5 year old to hunt. Also I bet Daniel Boone was a whole lot more grown up and had more life experience and wilderness skills than kids these days. Thankfully we have hunting laws now and limits on kill. I read Daniel Boone's biography and he killed an unbelievable amount of animals per season! He was just one man! Think of all the trappers killing that many, and it's no wonder the animals faced extinction so fast!

1 comment:

SuzanSayz said...

Geez, lets just count the ways this is offensive.
#1 The kid had NOTHING to do with any of it.
What? Was his name on the particular hook or something?
#2 Lester Holdt opening the sequence saying that the kid was facing down an 800 pound alligator. Yeah right. The thing was HOOKED! It obviously wasn't going anywhere. Meanwhile the proud (but incredibly STUPID) parents are standing there just so proud.
#3 We know the parents are idiots before anything is even said. But then proud papa opens his mouth and removes all doubt. Proudly tells how his little boy can handle a gun and does very well with it. Mama has to chime in too. I wonder what her reaction would be if the kid had wondered into some swamp and been eaten by that 800 pound gator. Aw but shucks, that wouldn't happen, obviously the brave kid has taken on that beast all by himself and is standing there showing the proof to a national audience.
I guess what I'm saying here is, boy,do I ever agree with you on this one Jenny!