Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I love the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice. This scene where Collin Firth as Mr. Darcy comes out of the water... oh my!
This clip also shows Elizabeth Bennett as portrayed in this version.




My sister in law loves the newer version of Pride and Prejudice starring Kiera Knightly. I just watched it today and while I like that she is a more expressive Elizabeth. I can not see anyone else as Mr. Darcy! To me Collin Firth is Mr. Darcy. What ever role he plays he is always Mr. Darcy to me.
The 1995 BBC version definitely tells the story better and explains the relationships deeper.
The awful cousin who comes to choose a wife among the sisters was way creepier in the BBC version!

My mom also loves the BBC version and came in today when I was watching the newer movie. Her feeling is that Elizabeth shouldn't look so anorexic. Which is funny because Kiera Knightly looks like she may have actually plumped up a bit for this movie. Like gained 5 lbs or something. She doesn't look so extremely thin as I've seen her in others. I thought she looked a more healthy weight.
I like the new Mr Darcy, but he played Arthur Clennam in Masterpiece Theaters version of Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens. I loved him in that role and when he's supposed to be Mr. Darcy I can't help but think of poor little Amy Dorrit who so loved him. Yep, he'll be Arthur in every film forever more!
Funny thing is, I like Hugh Grant movies and he's been in plenty of these types of movies. But all of his movies I see... Hugh Grant. I can't name the particular characters he's played, he's always just himself to me! Although don't get me started on his dance scene in Love Actually!
Well which Darcy do you prefer?
Have you seen either?
I actually got to watch a movie last night also! 2 movies in as many days is HUGE for me! I feel half normal! Well, Signing Time is running on my DVD now to bring me back to reality!

1 comment:

David said...

i've never seen either version, but every opinion I've heard is the same as yours, that the BBC is the best. I'll get around to them sometime!