Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Magazine Article

Last Christmas my cousin got me a subscription to Southern Living. This month they had a sort of "best of" section.

The best drive in West Virginia was the New River Gorge, Fayette County. I read the article then had to call my dad and share it. He is from Fayette county. He has a sister and a brother that live with in a mile, as the crow flies, from the New River Gorge Bridge. It is thelongest steel arch bridge in the western hemisphere. Now, I'm not saying the drive on route 19 across the bridge isn't beautiful. It is. But the article goes on to encourage people to stop by a visitor center and pick up a map that shows the other roads that you can take. Even encourages the use of the thinnest and squiggliest of roads. That's a link to the map. At the top there's an old photo of a car going between rock walls. Yes it's an old photo. No the roads haven't been improved since then.
That's what really caught my attention! I have driven those roads and they should mention that while the roads are steep and switch back, (yes! switch back not just merely curve) they are most definitely not one way roads, yet they are one lane. So it is not uncommon to go around a switchback and be head to head with a bus bringing rafters up from the river. Generally you have 2 choices here. You either get as far over on the shoulder as possible, yet not in the ditch or down the side of the mountain. Or you throw it in reverse until you come to a spot where there's enough flat land and you can actually pull over safely. I've been driving and come straight into a logging truck and had to throw my car into reverse until I got to another small road and pulled into that road until the truck passed.
Honestly, if you are driving any of these roads the people in the back seat will be the only ones able to take in the views. You and your front seat passenger will have you eyes glued to the road to see what is coming at you.
My Dad told me that his cousin bragged on how pretty it was down there and a fellow from here in town took him down there once. When the fellow came back someone asked him if it was beautiful and he said "I'll tell you. If a fella went down there with a truck full of weed eaters he could make some good money". That's the truth of it too! It is nothing but weeds and dilapidated houses.
The #3 best drive in West Virginia was route 52 from Bluefield to Welch which I'm also very familiar with. My husband is from the Welch area and we get off interstate 77 in Bluefield and take route 52 to his mother's house. I seriously don't know what they want people to look at? Old coal camps? Which are abandoned or abandoned looking small houses with dirt yards, all looking the same and more weeds. Oh I can't forget the junk cars! Where would they be without the junk vehicles piled in yards. Maybe that's what they want people to see.
Now I have been to West Virginia more times than I can count and every time we drive up out of my mother in laws going east on 52 towards Bluefield I get sick to my stomach. It is so curvy and ugh, I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it!
It is a pretty area. But if you are not familiar with the roads it is dangerous!

1 comment:

David said...

never been to west virginia!