Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sick Kiddo

Naomi has been sick for about a week now. Here's my week in review!
Tues.the 12th at 8pm- doesn't want to finish meal she usually wolfs down.
Wed. the 13th 11 am- vomits has no appetite. 7 pm vomits again
Thursday the 14th vomits once today
Friday the 15th 11 am vomits bile. I call the pediatrician they can't get her in. She shows no signs of dehydration. Just trying to get liquids in her. 3pm vomits a small amount of bile again. OK now we seem to have a clean slate.
Saturday the 16th- the pediatricians office opens their schedule for Sat. at 8:30 so at 8:27 I start calling over and over until I get through. Get her an appt. for 9:20 am. The Dr is running late but we get seen and she orders blood and urine labs. The nurse puts a urine bag on Naomi (OH so much fun) and we head to the hospital to have blood drawn at the lab. Check her at the lab, no urine yet. It's 11 am. Head home to wait it out, keep checking for urine. Nothing until after 3:30!!! So Bill's home by then and I leave him with her and run the urine sample to the lab, which is closed. So the hospital volunteer calls someone down and they take it and get the test done. She didn't vomit at all on Saturday. Sunday night.... 10pm diarrhea.
Monday morning first thing and I do mean FIRST. I'm sleeping Naomi has moved in bed so her head is facing the bottom of the bed and her butt is right in my face. She explodes with diarrhea. Waking me up. The worst ever alarm clock! My goodness the smell! I guess this must be the virus making it's exit, in a big way! So two more rounds of that then her stomach seems somewhat better. She's eating little, drinking a little more but sleepy.
Today she slept from 7 pm last night until 6 am this morning and even ate some breakfast. Then by 8 she was sleepy again and has acted sleepy most of this morning. Falling asleep occasionally for a nap which is then interrupted by the phone ringing. The first call was the pediatrician's office saying the nurse practitioner would like to have an ultrasound done of Naomi's liver and gall bladder, I ask for kidney too because, Hey, if we're putting her through this lets rule out kidney stones which are not uncommon on the ketogenic diet. Then my Great Aunt called wanting me to email someone for a recipe, easily done. Then it was the school nurse, they're giving out H1N1 vaccines to all the kids at Isaiah's school and he told them he'd had an immunization. I have gone over this with him! Yes, he had the regular flu shot on Oct. 26! Plenty of time has passed! I'm still on the fence something terrible about getting this vaccination for him, but it's done now! He takes the others fine. I just feel like the odds are since they're doing the entire school, one kid has to have a bad reaction! I just don't want it to be mine! But then again they're giving the nasal mist and that is a live virus. So, since such a large number is getting this vaccination what about the kids who aren't? Since it's a live virus is there any way that it could be spread to those who don't get it. It's such a hard call!!!
Well Naomi's up and about now. We'll see what this day holds. Her ultrasound isn't until Friday.
My furniture is here though! I can't get a good photo. It's green and ends up looking taupe.

4 comments:

Meandering Michael said...

Too bad that alarm clock doesn't have a snooze button! :P

SuzanSayz said...

Jenny, if you ask me I think that you are obviously having way too much fun. Tone it down you might make the rest of us jealous.

sorry, i couldn't resist

Poor little Naomi, I sure hope that she is on the tale end of whatever it is she is sick with.

Fawn said...

DEFINITELY the worst alarm clock ever!!! I feel for you. And I hope I never have to experience it first-hand. Glad she seems to be on the mend.

(((HUGS)))

Lisa Christine said...

Now that is an alarm clock that I would never ever want to experience! Yikes!