Saturday, August 22, 2009

Book Report

I hated book reports in school. Thankfully I was an artful cheater who used the same book report for several years and could read a book cover and come up with a pretty convincing work. I wasn't one of those dummies who tried to do a report on a movie that had been made into a movie, such as Annie.
My love of books didn't bloom until after school when I could read what ever I wanted and didn't have to pick from the school library. If I like a book I am compelled to read every book ever written by that author.
I just finished reading the best book I've read so far this year. It's called The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells. She also wrote The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, which became a movie.
I loved this book. There are so many little words of wisdom. Such a loving relationship with her parents and brothers, friends.
The main character called her mother M'Dear, which is such a southernly sweet thing. The book is set in a fictional Louisiana small town and I won't give away a single thing!
One example of the little things written that are so wise is on the first page, chapter one when the main character says her M'dear taught them "not to care much what other people thought, unless someone said you were mean to them, and it was true. Then you better pay attention."
There's a part in the book somewhere where M'Dear tells her something like "good enough is good enough, don't drive yourself crazy trying to make it perfect, no one is perfect". I know people who's whole lives could have been changed for the better is their parents would have told them that.
There's also a part where she tells her to practice spotting angels every day. Meaning to tell her that there are people sent to you, to teach you something everyday.
I loved this book so much that I was trying to take a nap while Naomi slept and kept thinking "If they make this into a movie, who should play each of the characters?". I've set my heart on Faith Hill and Tim McGraw playing M'Dear and Papa. Neil Patrick Harris playing Steven, and now I'll have to look though IMDB to find the others.
This actually may be a book I love so much it'd be hard to watch as a movie. You know usually the book is so much better than the movie. Except, I have to say, The Notebook. I liked the movie way better than the book. Probably because I have this totally inappropriate crush on James Gardner.

No comments: