Friday, August 7, 2009

Dad

My Dad had his first chemo treatment about two weeks ago.
He's still working but it's getting to him. His job is on 10 hour days plus 8 hours on Saturdays and my Dad works through his breaks! Always has. My husband works with him and takes him water and such and has tried to tell him to slow down. Even his boss has said take a break when you need to. But Dad won't let them down. If it needs done he'll get it done. I think Mom is going to contact his Dr. and get them to give him an order that says he can work no more than 8 hours a day. Maybe if it comes from the Dr. it'll take it out of Dad's hands and he can relax some.
He didn't get really sick from the chemo and actually felt a little better on days. The problem is it's just like when Naomi was on meds. Anytime anything happens it's like, OK, is this meds or is this disease? He's really emotional, maybe even depressed. He's really quick to tear up. I don't know if that's chemo or hormone treatments. I told him he sounded just like me after I had Isaiah and I wouldn't feel sad but tears would just start rolling down my cheeks and I had no control over it. He's wore out in the evenings. He told my mom he's just so tired and she told him he ought to be tired! He's 60 years old and trying to work like a much younger man!
His appetite doesn't seem to be affected. He doesn't look sick in any way.
The Clinic sent him to the heart clinic just as a precaution to be checked out and have an EKG this week. I guess there were quite a few characters there that day including an older man who kept saying "Frank is in the building". Referring to himself :)
Next week he goes to the Clinic to have a dermatologist check out a spot on his face that has caused problems for quite a while. It may be melanoma.
Then the following week he goes back for another chemo treatment. He'll go every 3 weeks. Hopefully we'll have good results.
Last Sunday in church when they asked for prayer requests it was heartbreaking! Several people with cancer, a mom with postpartum that tried to commit suicide, a family who's father had been with the same company for over 40 years and just found out the company went bankrupt. So many sad stories these days.
My cousin is about 2 years younger than me. He has a brain tumor, 2 mortgages, 3 kids and was caught in the latest round of lay offs at his job (he works with my Dad and husband).

2 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

Sometimes it seems that there is more sadness than we can ever bear to know about. But there are so many blessings as well. They just sometimes seem a little harder to spot. People losing their jobs is one of the hardest things to hear about. It's just so unfair for all these good, decent, responsible people who have always played by the rules and been able to take care of themselves and their families, to suddenly have it all taken away. It's heartbreaking to hear about. We pray every night for my son-in-law Jeff to find another job, and it doesn't seem to be happening. I guess it's a good thing that the air is free.

Lori said...

I'm praying for your Dad, and appreciate your support as well. Cancer is a sad thing to have in common, but it is nice to give and receive encouragement from one another. Blessings!