Saturday, June 20, 2009

Night thoughts

This is the kind of crap that runs through my mind as I'm trying to fall asleep. Actually I've thought of this for the last 2 nights! Considering Naomi got me up at about 4:30 this morning, it was not time well wasted!
What if the early Americans hadn't killed most of the buffalo. Did you know at one time there were 30 to 75 million? By the time we started protecting them there were only 350,000 left. The biography of Daniel Boone that I read described a scene that Boone came upon where French hunters had killed so many buffalo that you could walk 100's of yards on the carcasses without stepping foot on ground. Bet that smelled nice! The French killed the buffalo for the tongue. That's all they took of the animals! It was a delicacy.
There are a few farms that raise buffalo around here. Even one beef-alo. Once when I was going north with my mom to visit Grandpa a warning came across the radio that a local farm fence had been knocked over and buffalo were on the loose. They have to just shoot them. There is no corralling buffalo. So with all the news about black bears coming into neighborhoods, what if the buffalo were still running strong? Can you imagine walking out your back door and seeing a buffalo standing in your back yard? (this question is not for Fawn and Michael! It may be possible for them! :)
Maybe I've purged this from my mind and can just go to sleep tonight!

3 comments:

Meandering Michael said...

Ug, we've had them in our yard. They used to make me late for work. They're like giant squirrels, but worse. I have so many bison stories, I don't know where to begin.

Lisa Christine said...

I don't think that I have ever seen a buffalo in real life. They aren't in abundance here on the west coast.

Fawn said...

But that was in Fort Liard, not Whitehorse!