Friday, June 12, 2009

To the Hospital

My Dad's appointment was for 3:15.
My mom wanted to leave by 1.
We got there in record time and were sitting in the waiting room by 2:30.
They have a new system where they have you clip this badge on and then they can tell where the patient is in the building. Yet, they still kept calling names and saying "where's Mr Zimmerman? Mr. Zimmerman?" So why couldn't they just look him up on the GPS type thingy?
They have you fill out this questionnaire on a little computer. My parents are not computer friendly so I did it even though it's just put the pen on the correct answer then put the pen on next. Don't exactly need an IT degree for that. I wonder what the 75+ year old people think of that? I bet it intimidates them.
So, the Dr. comes in, hands us each one of his cards. Which I liked immediately. Like saying "here's how to reach me". Then sits down and asks what is going on with my Dad. I told him- "Friday they go to the urologist, he basically says 8 weeks of radiation you'll be good as new. The next Wednesday they go to a radiation oncologist who says there's nothing he can do for him. Two totally different opinions and they both would have been looking at the same pathology report."
So he looks at the report. Sees that Dad's PSA is really low, below the level they would even normally check for cancer. Then flips through everything else. He says "This doesn't jive". I think that made my mom a little relieved. To have a Dr basically say this makes no sense, because that's what we've been thinking all along.
He immediately said we need new tests done. He set up appointments ASAP for a bone scan and CT scan and he sent us straight down to the lab to have his PSA retested. Then he said Dad needed to see an oncologist as soon as all of that was done and gave us the name and told us a little about the oncologist he recommends. They've already set all of that up. So by the end of this month all of this will be in full swing.
Here's what I'm now thinking about the previous, local doctor my Dad saw. He was a urologist. He should have found the cancer, then sent Dad to an oncologist who specialized in prostrate cancer treatment and THAT doctor should have decided what route should be taken for treatment. So now I can't help but think of all the poor men who've gone through this and just went with what the Dr. said and may have been helped by a different treatment.
For all the men out there, when my dad said "isn't below 4 a normal PSA?" the Dr. said "there is no normal". He also said that metastatic prostrate cancer with a low PSA is not impossible but it's very rare. So that's where we are. I feel like my Dad is in excellent hands. Did I already say that the Cleveland Clinics urology department is #2 in the country! We are so blessed to have such awesome care so close to home! I love each and every Dr. we've come in contact with there!

1 comment:

SuzanSayz said...

That is just plain scary.
It's hard enough when something like this happens, but to not even be able to trust what the doctors tell you? Now that is just plain disturbing.
I sure hope it will be uphill from here.