Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Sound of Music

Last night The Sound of Music was on television. It's one of my favorites. I remember waiting for it to come on t.v. when I was little. It seemed like once a year it would be shown special. Now I own the movie, but rarely watch it. It's so long!
Well last night I guess I was feeling a bit cynical.
When I watched it all I could think is "that would never happen in real life".
Like when Maria goes in to talk to the reverend mother. The nun breaks into Climb Every Mountain. Can you imagine going in to talk to your boss and he breaks into song like that?!
There's also the scene out by the gazebo where Maria and Captain Von Trapp are professing their love and it's getting awful steamy! They're rubbing their cheeks against one another, kissing. Then she breaks into I Must of Done Something Good. UH, way to kill the moment Maria! I know she was going to be a nun, and may not be too worldly about men but my goodness! Why not just force him into a cold shower!?
The scene where Maria comes back home and the kids had been to try to see her but were turned away... They decide to sing A Few of My Favorite things. Then here she comes walking up the lane, swinging her suitcases. This is where I must confess! If in real life I was sitting with a group and someone broke out in that song I'd find it very hard not to sing along!

3 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

Boy do I ever hear ya! Even as a child I was bothered by the characters breaking into song. I like the Sound of Music. I LOVE Mary Poppins and Hairspray. But it's still a bit of a suspension of belief to be able to enjoy them. It's like, how can you really get into it and truly believe the characters when the breaking into song is so surreal?

fawn said...

Haha! The "Something Good" scene is the only one where it seems really awkward to me. Otherwise, well geez, why are you watching a musical if you don't want people to randomly break into song? LOL

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens....

Going to have that stuck in my head now.

Lisa Christine said...

I watched it too!!!