Monday, September 14, 2009

A Trip to a rural store

Naomi and I dropped Isaiah off at school then made a quick trip to a bulk food store in a rural area outside of town. We first stopped at the hardware store and when I got to the door an old farmer was sitting there b.s'ing with the clerk. He jumped up to get the door for me but I beat him to it. After I got my 2 small bags of dog food and dog shampoo I put them by the register and the old guy jumped up, he was going to help me get my things to the car. I thanked him but was able to get it myself. It all fit in one little plastic bag :) So nice of him though. His politeness made my morning!




Then we went to the market. It' a place with bulk items and an enormous deli. By enormous I mean it! Like 7 types of bologna alone! The cheese! I know they have over 40 different types of cheese. Last week when we were there I bet there were 50 cars in the parking lot! They were swamped. I asked the girl who checked me out if they were always so busy and she told me that Monday mornings are slow until lunch time then they're busy the rest of the week. I ran into her today and told her she was right! Monday is the time to go! There was only one other car in the parking lot when I pulled in shortly before 9 a.m. They opened at 8. I took a few pictures on the way there.





An Amish "pickup"

The front is a buggy the back is a stainless steel bed, just like a pickup truck.

An Amish School

Photo taken from the parking lot of the market.

Notice the bikes propped against the backstop of the baseball field. There are 3 such baseball fields in about a 1/2 mile stretch of road!

Front view of the Amish school taken from the main road.


Just a view of the state route I take to get out here. Amish farm in the distance.

I hate taking pictures of Amish. I feel like such a tourist! Not to mention I know it's against their religion. Other's know too but persist. You wouldn't walk up to a Jewish man and yank a Yamikah off his head! The Amish kids are fine. They haven't joined the church yet so it's not such a big deal. But about that I feel, would you want strangers coming up and taking photos of your kids? Most English people (meaning us) would call the law. So if I want a cute photo of an Amish kid, I buy a postcard.

1 comment:

SuzanSayz said...

Talk about incredible shopping opportunities. You live in such an interesting part of the country Jenny. Someday I would love to come see it for myself.
Too bad that more people can't show the respect that you do, to others who live differently from us. I really admire that about you Jenny.