Sunday, February 8, 2009

Internet and sick kids

When Naomi was diagnosed with Myoclonic-Astatic seizures I Googled it and made myself sick. Every time it would bring up Doose Syndrome or Lennox Gastaut, neither of which is her. But it's not just the BIG illnesses that can drive you crazy.
Naomi has a rash on her shoulder. I've Googled it. Which is nuts! I've come across ringworm (which is what I think it may be), scabies (NO), bed bugs (NO), shingles (NO), black widow spider bite (UH-UH). It may just be dry skin. Why not just take her to the Dr.? Don't mind if I do! I think I'll call in the morning, make the trip "across town" (it's all of 2 stop lights away!) and just put my mind and my keyboard to rest.
It is reassuring to know that ringworm is not actually a worm, although Bill said one of his brothers had to have one cut out. Maybe it was roundworm or something, who knows. His mother was.... less than diligent about getting her children to the Dr. (his baby brother had a peanut stuck up his nose until it was rancid and everyone called him "Peanut" for ever because of the stink it caused!) My grandmother gave my dad turpentine to drink to get rid of worms when he was little!
Looking at the photos of people afflicted with all the skin problems Naomi doesn't have makes me wonder about their common sense! One little boy had a huge swollen ear and half his face was a total mess, how do you let something like that go! Maybe his mother got too tied up in Googling what was wrong with him!
If you take your child to the Dr. and they take a photo to post online.... maybe you've let it go a little long!

1 comment:

Meandering Michael said...

A couple of time now, Jade has gotten huge rashes down her legs. They look like the might be dry skin, but they've come on really quickly. The doctor suggested that they might be related to the seizures (that the seizures actually CAUSE the rash). I think it's probably related to the medication.

Hope the rash resolves itself really soon...