Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Being Forced to be Recycled

We're sort of being forced to recycle. I have nothing against recycling but our city has always picked trash up twice a week and they're reducing that to once a week. They also pick up recycling once a week.
We take our recycling to a nearby container because the one time I decided to go ahead and let the city pick it up, they never came. I ended up chasing the dag-gum bag down the road. (Cursing them all the way)
I started recycling mostly our plastic stuff after trying it one week months ago and realizing just how much plastic we use! It's ridiculous.
Now that trash runs one less day though I've been trying to recycle everything I can. There's a few issues. One is I have NO room to keep the stuff! Houses built in the early 1900's are not built with a lot of extra room for such stuff. (Ladies, I have 1, count it, 1 drawer in my kitchen can you imagine! Actually come to think of it... it's one of 2 drawers in my entire house not counting furniture!)
My other issue is this, to keep down the smell and threat of bugs and such I have to wash out the items to be recycled. My water is not free so my water bill is going up. Going up QUITE a bit! So I'm using perfectly good, chemically treated, fresh water to wash trash.
My other issue is with the place I take the recycle items. It's convenient and all but lots of people take stuff there. Who ever picks up the containers seems to underestimate how quickly they get filled up. So people end up sitting stuff outside the containers. This means that the small grassy are that is behind the containers is littered with trash... I mean "recyclables". They used to have the containers at Walmart but Walmart won't let them keep them there because of all the trash that was blowing around.
So, I'm happy to do my part. But there are down sides also.
School teaches reduce, recycle, re-use. So maybe I should set all the items in front of Isaiah and tell him to come up with a re-use for he items. He already wants to turn every single water bottle we have into a bird feeder (thank you 1st grade teacher!)

3 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

I love your closing comment! It's always cracked me up how the environmental wacko's always act like if you use your unwanted things for something else that you are somehow saving the world. And you know, if every tree was filled with plastic recycled bird feeders then there would be complaints of how they were spoiling the landscape, and bringing in too many of the wrong sorts of birds. There's just no winning with these people. And eventually everything that you use as something else, instead of throwing it away will end up thrown away anyway, so where have we gained. I use Target and Walmart bags to line my smaller garbage cans but a few days later they still get thrown away.
As long as I can remember we have never had more than once a week garbage pick-up. But most people have two of the big garbage cans so we have enough room for it all.

Lisa Christine said...

You used to have trash pick up 2 times a week?!

Wow...I have never even heard of that. Everywhere I have ever lived had a once a week pick up.

As for recylcing.....not in the Sorenson home. I know, I know, we should.....but that would mean one more thing to think about.

David said...

i don't mind recycling. but for us they make it easy. There is a large separate can to put recyclables in, and nobody "Makes" you do it. I can throw it all away in the regular trash can if i want to. So as long as i feel that i'm recycling by choice, i am happy to.