Friday, March 27, 2009

Isaiah and soccer

This morning Isaiah was talking to the kids I take to school and the topic of soccer came up. Isaiah said "I only played soccer one year but I was good. I just couldn't kick the ball in the goal". My sweet boy! He thinks he was good even though he couldn't do the whole object of the game! I'll tell you what he could do. He could run along the side lines waving at his family while the rest of the team chased the ball on the other side of the field!
He had a coach that made the kids run laps over and over. I'm sorry, it was there first time ever playing soccer, they know how to run! How about showing them the rules and whole idea of the game! They were 5 and 6 at the time.
I hate organized sports. If it's a good atmosphere that's one thing, but it generally isn't. There's always the coach who thinks he's preparing them for the big league and the parents who just want to WIN! Even when it's t-ball and no one's keeping score.
When I was young the boys started playing football in 7th grade. Now it starts in about 2nd grade. It just seems like their little bodies are not ready for all that yet. I have a friend who's son is very athletic and plays just about every sport he can. He had to have water removed from behind his knee before he was even 10 years old!
At least Isaiah was good in his memory. Anyone who witnessed his debut into soccer knows otherwise!

2 comments:

David said...

the coach made them run laps? what a jerk. that's for serious sports once you get a little older, not for 5 year olds!

Lisa Christine said...

Alexandra is on a little soccer team and there isn't much scoring yet :)

But they have fun running in a big herd and getting treats!