Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Cluster




This is what Naomi having a small, light intensity cluster looks like. It actually started upstairs after a nap.

We have finally seemed to figure something out about her clusters. When she starts having them, encourage her to walk. We've always thought that when we could distract her during a cluster they lessened and eventually went away.

A few weeks ago during a long cluster I was holding her, I've always held her because she looses her balance and falls. She wanted down and wanted to walk around the house. So I held her hand and we walked circles around the house and they seemed to get further apart and get lighter. So the other day I was bringing her down from a late nap and she had one when we were on the steps. I handed her to her dad and she started having a cluster one after the other. Just boom, boom, boom so he tried rubbing ice on her foot to distract her and I said "put her down and make her walk". He did and instantly they slowed and got further apart. She wanted picked up so he picked her up and again boom, boom, boom, here they came. He set her down and again instantly lighter and further apart! So now when we wake in the morning I instantly make her get up and move. She still has seizures but the cluster is lighter and they're spaced out further.

I'm sorry to say, I'm so used to this it's just routine. Your kid sleeps, your kid wakes up and has a cluster. These aren't scary, it's when they are harder and go on and on that just scare the crap out of you!


3 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Sadly, I know what you mean. I am so used to seeing Elisabeth have her spasms that they are just normal part of life now. Maybe someday our children will be seizure free! {we can always hope!}

David said...

poor little thing wanted to get something to eat but she was locked out of the kitchen lol

Fawn said...

I bet it would be easier to see in person - I have a hard time seeing the seizures on the vid. When she's staring at the book, is she seizing or reading? All I know is what Jade's seizures look like!