Thursday, March 12, 2009

This week with Isaiah

It's been something every day with Isaiah this week.

Something was said at my parents house about the retirement home and my dad said
"Isaiah, I won't have to go to the retirement house will I? I can stay with you right?"
Isaiah said "There's just one problem with that Papaw, sometimes my Dad sleeps in bed with me."
My Dad laughed and told him "I won't be going anytime soon. You'll probably be married by the time I'm ready for the retirement home." My dad is only 59.

Then this week was my mother in law's birthday and Isaiah called to sing her happy birthday. She said "Do you know how old I am?" and Isaiah asked "Are you old enough for the retirement home?"

Every week in 4th grade they have fluency page they have to bring home and read every day. This week it was all about sayings that have come from the circus. Like "under the big top" and "grandstanding", "jumbo" and Isaiah's personal favorite "come rain or come shine". He has tried to slip this into conversation all week. Finally on Tuesday night my mom called and told him she'd be there to pick him up Wednesday after school. He replied "Will that be come rain or come shine Grammy?". Previously he'd been saying "fight the power"any time he could. Never in the proper context. For Example: He say "Mom, what are we having for dinner"
I'd answer "Pizza"
Then he says "Yeah! Fight the power!"

A few weeks ago Isaiah asked me about a girl at school who's teeth stuck out on the side. Having never seen her I just told him it was probably something she couldn't do anything about, just don't treat her any different and don't let that keep you from talking to her. Then he brought home his year book he pointed her out to me. It was worse than I imagined. It's obviously some sort of birth defect. The poor little girl was actually photographed side ways but you can see something is really wrong. Isaiah also said you can hear when she breathes and I told him it's probably just because she can't close her mouth completely. All his questions about her were out of concern. He wasn't ever being mean spirited. He's a very kind boy. I told him I'm sure there's a very sweet little girl inside there and you can't judge a person from the outside. The outside doesn't always show what a beautiful person is inside. Then I said "What do you think Jane looks like on the inside?" Jane is the name I'm giving a little girl in his grade that is extremely mean and seems set on hurting others feelings. Isaiah said he thinks on the inside she "Looks like a troll!"
I also then took pity on Jane and told him that little kids don't usually talk as mean as her.
Someone had to talk to her that way for her to learn it.
It's so hard to know what to tell kids!

3 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

Oh that just makes me so sad to think of that poor little girl. And then to think of her being in a class with a girl like "Jane".
Thank goodness for sweet gentle children like Isaiah. I hope that there are other kind children as well that won't be afraid to be her friend.
They seem to know more these days, about teacning children to have love and compassion for those children who are different. I agree with you about Jane as well. How sad for a child to have so much anger and to express it so strongly. She must not have a happy homelife at all.

Jennybell said...

The little girl is listed as part of a class room. But she and other children with handicaps all have a special classroom together. There's a lot of kids with Downs Syndrome in the class.

David said...

speaking of pizza, i tried the round table meatball pizza today. very yummy.