Monday, October 13, 2008

Internet Danger

There's a danger in researching your child's diagnoses on the internet. When Naomi was first diagnosed with Myoclonic Astatic (myoclonic meaning muscular and Astatic meaning she falls) I looked it up on the internet. Everytime I typed that in I'd get Lennox-Gastaut http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/answerplace/Medical/seizures/syndromes/lennoxgastaut.cfm
When I really got sickly worried over it, I called and talked to the clinical nurse, and she made me feel instantly relieve. She said "OH!! NO NO NO NO NO!!! It's not Lennox-Gastaut! It's good to research but make sure you check what you've found with an informed person!" She was cheerful about it and made me feel, in a good way, like, you silly thing, relax! The next thing I constantly ran across was Doose Syndrome. http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/infants/myoclonicepilepsy.html
Well, I started looking at this right before an appointment with Dr. T. So, I asked her about it and she said "It's not Doose, I actually worked with Dr. Doose, and Naomi has symptoms of a few syndromes but doesn't have any one syndrome" When your Dr. tells you she worked with someone who has a syndrome named for them, it makes you feel like you're in incredible hands!
So to wrap this up, it's good to be informed about your child's diagnoses, but it'd be good to set a time limit as to how long you'll let yourself get sucked into the internet looking up information. Don't get scared by what you find and if you do, call and talk to your neurologists office and get an informed opionion.

1 comment:

Lisa Christine said...

You're absolutely right. The internet can be a blessing and a burden.