Monday, October 13, 2008

I was an only child

I was an only child. Contrary to the popular belief of only children.... I wouldn't say I was spoiled, my mom wasn't a "shopper" so I yearned for Nike's and Levi's and I never did get a Snoopy snow cone machine! I did get Uncle Wriggly one year, and remember loving the game. My mom said there was too much to it and threw it away. I never forgot that! Then, at the age of about 30 when my mom and I took my son to a toy store, there it was! Uncle Wriggly! I grabbed it and ran to show my mom! She bought it for me!

Another part of being an only child, and being a girl is having a father who loved and doted on me and took me everywhere with him. I never knew until I had a son just how bad my dad had wanted a son! Not that he didn't want me and love me, but when I had Isaiah a love that had laid dormant for almost 25 years was unleashed! They are "best pals" . Isaiah adores my dad, would spend every day with him. They have matching blue housecoats for goodness sake! Last weekend my parents took Isaiah to a Chinese restaurant and at the end of the meal when my mom opened her fortune cookie it read something to the effect of " You are emotionally strong and sensitive" Isaiah reached over and took the paper from her and said "uh... Grammy, I think you got the wrong one, that was supposed to be Papaw's" He loves my mom too, but he and Papaw are tight! Mom opened another cookie and it read "now's the time to finish tasks" mom told Isaiah that meant she needed to take him home right away!

Naomi's pretty much ours, my parents love her and would love to have her stay the night too, but her seizures and medication schedule are, I'm sure ,a little scary for them and I don't think I could let her go anyhow. Isaiah was over 2 before I let him spend the night away from home and there wasn't a thing in the world wrong with him!

No comments: