Saturday, December 27, 2008

Bilingual??

On Christmas Day I talked to my friend Carol in North Carolina. Then that night I woke up and was just laying in bed thinking. At some point I realized my thoughts had a southern accent! I don't know why but it was crazy! I don't know if it was talking to Carol that bought it out or what!
When we moved back to Ohio from North Carolina I had a very thick western Carolina accent. You know, where it's not "pen" it's "pey-en". It's not a "shopping cart" it's a "buggy"(heavy on the UH in bUggy).
A local factory was shut down without notice and they filed bankruptcy and the people thought they'd be with out a job for Christmas. Well a North Carolina based company came in and bought them. Gave them all $1500 shopping cards just to win the trust of the former employees, isn't that nice. Well last night I got to thinking, I should go down and see about getting a job there! I could tell them I'm bilingual and would be able to answer phone calls from their main offices in N.C. and actually understand what was being said to me. Also I know enough to talk slow so they can understand me!
When we moved back to Ohio there was a message on our answering machine. I remember Bill and I sitting around the machine and playing the message over and over saying "why is she talking so fast?". I can't remember what the message was about but it took us a bunch of tries to try to understand what that fast talking northerner was saying! She wasn't talking any different than anyone else up here it was just so strange to hear! I think that's when I finally admitted I did have an accent!
Speaking of accents, since we got a Christmas card from Fawn Isaiah has asked me some questions about Canada. First he wondered if when they talk do they say things like "Nice car, Aay". I don't know where he got that! Probably some cartoon with a Mountie in it. Then last night I was watching Comedy Central and Jeff Dunham and Bubba J came on. Isaiah saw Bubba J and said "Why's he talking like that? Is he from Canada?" Sorry Canadians!!! Obviously we have not let Isaiah spend nearly enough time with his Daddy's family or he'd know exactly where Bubba J is from! HA!! Kidding!!! Actually some of Bubba J's stories sound like my own father's family!
(note: the clip on Youtube is NOT the same as was on T.V. last night. I didn't let Isaiah watch the whole thing and there was no cussing on the t.v. version!)

1 comment: