Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I'm a Book Worm Too!

I finally started reading again!
It's been a while and I thought... I'll post what I'm reading in a gadget on my blog!
Well here's the problem with that. When I start reading it's hard for me to stop! I can read a book a day or maybe 2 days. I got the book The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb on Friday, December 19th and thought, "Man this is a big book! Can I finish it before I have to return it in 2 weeks?!"
Isaiah's eyes got HUGE when he saw it, I believe it's like 750+ pages. When he saw me come out of the library he said "what's that mom?"
I told him "Something for you to read while your off on holiday break"
His voice cracked as he said "I CAN'T READ ALL THAT!"
Well I think it took me all of 3 days to get through that book! I tell you , I have a sickness! I HATED to read in school! I guess because the teachers always want you to read off a list and even though I like fiction, nonfiction and love biographies I never found anything that interested me on their lists.
Another problem of mine is when I find an author I like I have to read every book of theirs I can get my hands on. A few years ago it was John Jakes. I read so many of his books! Also I've been stuck on Maeve Binchy, Sophie Kinsella, Jonis Agee, Sarah Strohmeyer, Jodi Picoult, books from Ophrah's list and Anne Rivers Siddon.
My book Gadget has gotten outdated pretty quick! I read 2 books over the weekend. I read Sea Glass by Anita Shreve and Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella. I really liked Anita Shreve's book, well I liked them both but I've run out of Sophie Kinsella books to read! So now I'm going backto the library to check out a couple more Anita Shreve books.
I should start reading only dead authors then at least I'd know what I was up against.
I tried to read Faulkner, his book As I Lay Dying was on Oprah's book club list and I may have missed something. It was the stupidest thing I've read in a long time, I do not see the genius in it It's a story I could have heard from any of my hillbilly relatives!
My favorite author, the author I just can not wait until he puts out a new book is David Sedaris! He's in nonfiction, all his books are stories from his life, but are so unbelievable hilarious! I love a book that makes me laugh out loud! If you've never read his books or even heard of him search for him on Youtube. There's videos of people reading his books and once I saw a video of him doing a reading on Letterman.
One of the best biographies I ever read was A Boy from Plains by Jimmy Carter, I'm not just saying this because I met his brother Billy when I was young (like 4!). I also read Barack Obama's book Dreams from My Father, which was lucky since now I can dispute my mother in law when she says things like "he's not American because Hawaii wasn't a state when he was born". Also Charles Barkley's book I May Be Wrong.... But I doubt it, is so funny, though I guess that's not really a biography.
Anyway, if anyone has read anything good let me know. I'm always on the look out for a good book!

1 comment:

Meandering Michael said...

You can't go wrong with any of the Stuart McLean books (or the audio versions of the stories either, for that matter).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=stuart+mclean&x=0&y=0