Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A place where everyone knows her name....

Think the theme from t.v. show Cheers... "Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries , sure would help a lot. Wouldn't you like to get away? Sometimes you wanna go.. Where everybody knows your name, and their always glad you came......"
Well today Naomi went someplace everybody knows her name. The receptionist says "My she's getting big!". That place is..... the lab. She went for yet more bloodwork today. This time they only needed to draw 4 vials of blood, lucky girl! Once it was 10, seriously!
This time, as was the case last time, they had a hard time finding a vein. She had a wiggly vein that they finally tapped into after inserting needle and moving it until they hit it. If you heard a high pitched scream around 9:30 EST this morning, that was her.
Another office member even came and shut the door. But the waiting room still heard her. I let her walk out where her Daddy was waiting. She'd stopped crying, but when she saw him crouched with his arms open to pick her up, she cried again and did this funny little side to side "I am TICKED" walk/run to his waiting arms.
After they put her band aid on they asked the question..... Any parent who has taken their kid to anything stressful to the child knows what question I mean
"DO YOU WANT A STICKER?"
They handed her a Fairytopia sticker which she looked at, then glared at them, then promptly threw the sticker to the floor. The guy who stuck her said "I guess we know what she thinks of us!" She was his first stick of the day. I'd have to guess afterward he headed straight outside for a smoke. He said his heart was pounding.
When I was little I had a sticker book, several actually. I would collect stickers and put them in my books, maybe a precursor to scrap booking. It's no wonder kids no longer have sticker books. What a memory.. this Fairytopia sticker is from the time I had my blood drawn, this Barbie sticker is from 2 weeks later when I had my blood drawn again. This Sponge bob sticker is from the dentist, after my flu shot I got this nice Winnie the Pooh.... etc.
Can you imagine waking from , say a hysterectomy and the nurse says "which sticker would you like? High School Musical or Santa?" Oh that would make it all better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That second-last paragraph is priceless!

I've had the needle wiggle thing happen to me twice -- it's nasty. I'd rather they just take the damned needle out and poke me again. Of course, the first time it happened, I was giving blood, so it was a BIG ASS needle, which probably didn't help.

Maybe you should ask about getting a topical anesthetic before the next bloodwork. I used to always do it for Jade and she wouldn't even notice when the needle went in. Now she's pretty okay with needles even without getting the EMLA.

Some anesthetics will cause the veins to shrink, though, so I'd ask about different kinds if Naomi has small veins to begin with.