Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My ornament


If our tree had nothing but the Christmas Tampon and this Sylvester on it, it'd be fine with me. That's kind of what I had in mind for this year! HA! Didn't happen!
I can SOOOOOO remember going into the Hallmark when it was on South St. here in town and purchasing this ornament! My mom took me and they had a whole wall of ornaments, just like today's Hallmark's. We sadly no longer have a Hallmark in our town, I miss it. They have such nice gifts, and I could read cards till the cows come home!
The scary part is, on the bottom of Sylvester it says 1977! That makes me 3 when I bought him! Yet my memory of buying him is vivid!
I have lots of odd memories like that shoved in my head! Memories of being places for no special reason yet having a photo of the moment stuck in my head!
One of my favorite Christmas memories was going to Enderle's Foodline IGA with my Grandma and we came around the end of an aisle and there was this older man there. For some reason, in my mind he looked like JR Ewing from "Dallas". Anyway, there was a fruit display at the end of the aisle and mistletoe hanging. My Grandma lets go of the cart (I actually call it a "buggy" now after living in North Carolina for a time!) goes over and grabs "JR" and pulls him under the mistletoe and lays a big old smooch straight on his lips. He starts laughing and Grandma turns and smiles at me and tells me not to mention it to Grandpa! She knew as soon as I saw Grandpa I'd blurt out the story! Grandpa acted like he couldn't believe his ears as he winked over my head at Grandma.

No comments: