Saturday, January 10, 2009

Snow Day


We are under a winter storm watch since last night and it goes until 7 p.m. tonight. So I'm a bit bored!!! There were some really large flakes that looked like they were a good 2 inches in diameter. It seemed to have stopped for now, but there's a couple inches of snow out there.
So here's some things that happened last week that I haven't mentioned...

1. Isaiah had a Social Studies test and it was about Ohio native Americans and one of the
questions was "what would be your Indian name and why?" and Isaiah wrote Fox stuck in a
hole because I'm fast but clumsy.

2. Naomi had an evaluation for the special needs preschool, which I don't intend to send her to, but it also is an eval to see if she qualifies for any other services, which she will. We should be able to get extra therapy for her, specifically Speech and Occupational is what I'm pushing for. She already goes 2 days a week (not there), but this wouldn't go through our insurance. Any extra therapy is a plus! Also they'd send a teacher to our home once a week to work with her here.

3. At the evaluation right before we left, I was in the hall filling out paper work and she was in the classroom, she tripped and hit her head on the corner of a table. Got a huge goose egg, but these things happen. She's fine, it looks much better now.

4. The city schools were on a 2 hour delay two days this week due to snow or ice and I took 4 extra kids to school (I make 2 trips to the school, I don't squish them all into the car!). The worse part of that is my poor floors! 4 kids coming in from out side, with snow boots on! In 2 different doors! There were chunks of rock salt floating in the little puddles they left behind.

5. Isaiah has begged to watch The Dark Knight. I thought it may be a little scary. I finally conceded, after he gave a list of the kids in his class who's parents had let them watch it. I told him he had to wait until Saturday morning to watch it, so it would be day, and not right before he went to bed. We stopped by the video store and got it and Tropic Thunder after school on Friday. The woman who worked at the store said it wasn't scary and her son hadn't even liked it, Isaiah should be fine. After Naomi and I went to bed at 7:30 on Friday Bill put the movie in for he and Isaiah to watch. Just a little into the movie, Isaiah starts piling pillows in front of his face. Bill turned it off and told him they weren't watching it if it scared him. Apparently he'd already been warned about some parts and was just preparing for the worst. When I asked him this morning how his movie was he just shrugged. His dad told him I would be mad because he begged to watch it. I told him now maybe he'd realize Momma's always right!

6. At the movie rental place Isaiah went by the door and was reading a brochure like he was all interested in it. When I got close to him he showed me what it was, a brochure for the Marine Corps. He said he was just looking at it because Papaw was a Marine. I told him "yeah and all he got from it was bad hearing". He said he knew that. My dad did 2 tours of duty in Vietnam.

7. Isaiah had homework where he had to write a summary of the story they'd read in Reading. So I sat with him said "start at the beginning of the story and tell the highlights of the story, what it's about" I wrote down what he said. Then he got a piece of paper and rewrote what he'd just said. Otherwise we're there all night long, him trying to remember what he'd said and what he wants to write, seriously it could take over an hour, long over an hour! Friday, when the teacher sees his paragraph she told him he needed to indent the paragraph and Isaiah said "my mom wrote it I just copied it" and the teacher said "I like your mom's work". I didn't even look at his summary after he was done because he needs to start remembering all the rules or get counted off for it! Capital letter to start a sentence, use punctuation and indent a paragraph! So now his teacher must think I do his homework for him! I emailed her to explain, but still!

8. Bill got notice at work that they will be working 10 hour days until further notice! AWESOME! After 2 months of 4 day weeks and a whole week off! This is great news! Plus at 10 hours a day he'll still get 2 days off a week (we think) Not like when they were really busy and working 7 days a week, although that's great too because Sunday's are double pay!

9. I actually cooked! I haven't done so much of that since Naomi started the diet. I even made a coconut cake (from a box). Isaiah said "what's the special occasion" and I said "I went to the grocery store with the munchies!".

10. Naomi got her bangs cut when I got my hair cut and the hairdresser, Maria, hadn't seen her since October, before the diet and when she was still on Topamax. She couldn't believe the change and said "she's got such a little personality now!" Naomi didn't cry when she cut her hair just squealed! Big improvement. Then she sat there and cracked up laughing while I got my hair cut! When we left Maria said "bye, can you good bye?" and Naomi turned from here and said "NO!" Alrighty then!

No comments: