Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The 9 fingered Dentist

That's what the dentist may be able to rename his practice after an encounter tomorrow with my baby girl!
I called my neighbor last night ,who is a supervisor at the hospital very near the pediatric dentist Naomi will be visiting, and asked her to have a surgical team assembled to reattach the dentist's finger. She laughed and said she'd make sure the hand surgeons were well equipped and ready to operate.
Seriously my child has one heck of a bite on her! Her speech therapist gave her a Nuk massage brush to chew while she was there then put it in the dishwasher. She said when she pulled it out she saw it was shredded and she showed it to her supervisor and she was in awe. She'd never seen a child do that!!!!
Naomi is going to the dentist because her 2 year molars have not all came in. Only 1 of the four came in and it just popped up in December. Our dentist said the pediatric dentist could x-ray her and see if she even has the molars. If not, then she just doesn't have them. I'm kind of hoping that's the case! My husband says his wisdom teeth came in with no problem. So I don't doubt that it's possible there's some genetic predisposition to lack of teeth. His Grandpa is from Kentucky. His Grandma is from Alabama and they lived together in West Virginia. None of those states exactly known for their dental care.
So tomorrow 3 pm EST stop for a moment of silence for the poor dentist who may have lost a finger. Well the appointment is at 3 so it'll probably be more like 3:30 before we actually see the dentist!

DENTAL UPDATE:
We went to the dentist. Basically he counted teeth and looked at her teeth thoroughly. She screamed the whole time. The dentist and I sat knee to knee and He held her head in his lap and looked in her mouth from behind, while I held her bottom in my lap with her lengthy legs dangling and me holding on to her hands. Like I said she screamed, no tears just yelling. As soon as we let her up she was fine even giggled as we walked out to the toy chest. The dentist said lots of kids don't get their 2 year molars until after 3 maybe even 4. He thought since she doesn't eat much hard food on the Ketogenic Diet that she doesn't have that chewing to help them come in. He said he could feel the lower left, it's definitely there and if in 6 months they're not in to call and maybe do x-rays to look at the tops. He also said there will probably be a lot of crowding in her teeth so maybe at 9 or 10 start looking into braces.
Can we start making payments now? As much as they've gone up in the last 16 years since I had braces I can just imagine what they're be 7 years from now! UGH!!!

1 comment:

David said...

I hate going to the dentist, but don't most people? Did you ever see Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier, who plays a Nazi Dentist? It might make you uneasy next time you go to the dentist lol