Thursday, April 23, 2009

Kids

Monday at the special needs school, we were in the hallway when a line of kids came through. One kid screamed out as they came in then started hitting himself in the head! Poor thing! The teacher talked and calmed him and put a blue helmet on him like Jade wears. He was older, 8 maybe. I just made me think, our kids may fall from seizures and get bloodied or bruised, but how grateful I am that I'm not having to protect her from herself! That would be so hard to cope with. The older he gets the more he can hurt himself too! Plus I seriously doubt they could even medicate him for something like that, it would just basically be sedation. So sad! I'm sure his mother goes in there and sees other kids that make her grateful for her child's problems.
There was another boy, even older who saw Naomi on the tricycle. Then he saw Naomi decide she didn't want to be on the tricycle and scoot her butt off the seat, not taking in her feet were attached by Velcro to the peddles! So she was really in a deep squat off to the side of the trike. He got the biggest smile on his face! I said "do you think that's funny?" and he started laughing! It was so sweet!
Today in therapy Naomi was in the "sling swing". It's kind of made out of fabric like a swimming suit and it's just like a giant sling and she gets in there and is cuddled. Her speech therapist was watching her and kept looking at me saying she's so sweet! Then she said "you've to to see her sweet little face!". Her expression was so funny, she was calm and had just the slightest smile on her face like she was perfectly content! She was so glad to be back!

2 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

I agree....it would be extremely difficult to have a child who wanted to hurt themselves.

There is always a silver lining...

SuzanSayz said...

His entire life things like that make Shawn laugh. He goes into hysterics if he hears someone speaking in a foreign language. If someone gets bonked by something and falls down Shawn finds it so funny. All through school his teachers worked with him to not laugh when others get hurt. He does understand the concept but in all innocence he still finds it amusing. Probably one of the things I hear the most from him is "That's not funny that he got shot is it?" (this while watching a movie) or "I shouldn't laugh that he fell down and made evething fall on him should I mom?" It's hard to curtail him too much though because he never ever means to offend anyone. And don't even get me started on when people sneeze.