Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rejection!

It's Spring clean up time in our neighborhood. The time of year you get to see what kinds of pigs you live near! There's some rental houses across the street and if you saw what was curbside over there you'd wonder how it all fit in the house. I mean there's a ton of stuff!
Then there's us. We generally don't have much exciting. Yet I hate to put my poor stuff out there and wait as the "pickers" come by.
So many people circling town picking through the clean up items. I sit here looking out at the window. Waiting. Watching for someone to come by and look at my stuff.
Monday was the first day and I set stuff out late. An old wood door that was on the house when we moved in. Three of the four doors in this house had doors so old the original locks used a skeleton key! I also set out an old aluminum storm door and 2 old mop handles. That's it. Everything else I got rid of through out the year.
I went upstairs Monday to lay down with Naomi for a nap and she fell asleep on my chest. So when I heard the clip clop of horses hooves pull up I knew what it was. It was the Amish "pickers" looking through our stuff. It was killing me that I couldn't get up to see what they'd take.
When we woke I didn't see anything gone. Then I spotted them! An Amish couple parked across the street.... with my wooden door on top of their buggy! OOOOO the satisfaction at being picked. It's like gym class in elementary school, I want my stuff gone quicker than the neighbors. Plus, the city is always late picking the stuff up so better for "pickers" to get it early in the week than for it to lay in the front lawn !
Bill carried an old air conditioner down there Monday afternoon and has it in a black trash bag! That's not proper merchandising! He said he was surprised it wasn't picked up yet. I told him it would be gone if it wasn't covered. He said he didn't want it to get wet. HUH? Why, it's JUNK! Who ever takes it will be after the metals in it not the unit itself!
I was so hoping to get a photo of an Amish buggy with multiple mattresses piled on top! It's been raining though so I've only seen 1 and I was driving down the road when I saw it. It is a funny site. A little black buggy with as many mattresses as possible piled high on top! Usually more than I'd even put on our pick up!
What always gets me is the wives that ride along. There is no way I'd do that. When I was 17 I had a boyfriend who wanted to drive around and look at that stuff and I was so embarrassed! I only dated him 2 weeks, it was doomed!
I've tried to tell Georgia, our neighbor lady, to set a lawn chair out and wait for the men to come to her! There's some real lookers out picking through junk. Beer bellys, ripped flannel shirts, holey jeans all in rusted pick up truck! Be still my beating heart!
This time of year reminds me that the only difference between a garage sale and trash is how close it is to the curb.

1 comment:

SuzanSayz said...

What a cool tradition! I loved your comparison to a yard sale and a junk pick up, too. It's amazing how different things can be in other parts of the country. I love reading about them through friend's blogs. Thanks for the good "read" Jenny!