Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Therapy

Naomi loves her therapy, loves her therapist. When her occupational therapist comes to get her from the physical therapist in the gym she runs up to her for a hug. When she sees her speech therapist she gets so excited and points like "I know you!". So today I called the state program that pays for our therapy. I have to reapply for the program every year and I sent all my paper work in back in November. Her coverage ran out January 31 and it was March 23 before we got our approval letter. One problem.... they didn't add therapy on to the approval letter. My husbands insurance through work pays for 52 therapy sessions a year. Since Naomi gets 6 therapy sessions a week that goes quickly then we're thankful for BCMH to pick up the slack and continue her therapy.
On March 23 after receiving the approval letter minus the therapy I went to our pediatricians office so they could fax what I needed sent in to BCMH. They actually had to first send it to our neurologist office. Long story short everything was faxed to BCMH on March 30. It was put on the nurses desk for review April 2, I just got off the phone to BCMH and she told me that therapy is special and we have to actually ask for it every year, it's not just automatically added on! What crap! She said I've done everything right though.
As soon as I got off the phone with BCMH the therapy called. Naomi is out of visits. I told her to go ahead and cancel tomorrows appointment because let me tell you seeing 3 therapist is not cheap!!!! If we just continue as we have been and no one else will pay for it we would be in the poor house quick!
As much as I hate having to get up early and get her going out the door to therapy by 8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm sitting here crying over it because she's my baby and she needs help and what if everything doesn't come through and we can't afford to give her the help!
She does get additional therapy for free through the local special needs school, they're on spring break this week.
It's all so stressful. Like having a kid with developmental delays isn't enough you have to go to war with the system to get them the help they need!
And why is it all so expensive!!! Over $2200/ month for therapy!

3 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

Oh Jenny I feel horrible for you. What an awful thing to happen. We were lucky enough to have the public school system pay for whatever our personal insurance didn't. Shawn went to a preschool for developmentally disabled children every weekday and it never cost us a dime. I think that resources are spread a lot thinner these days. But what a sad commentary when innocent children can't get the help they need.
I hope things work out for you.

Fawn said...

Yikes! I hope they get things organized soon.

The folks here decided that we are stimulating Jade enough with what we do with her, so she's not getting any formal therapy. I know the language will come, and her fine motor skills will get there as she develops. But I think I need to help her build muscle when I compare her to other kids her age!

Anonymous said...

You and I read some of the same blogs....
I did a series on healthcare insurance (including state-funded programs).

My posts might not help you feel better but you will have a little more information and perspective.

Middle column.

Hope you are able to work this situation to your satisfaction. Barbara