Friday, November 7, 2008

Bargain hunting

I went to Walmart to buy groceries today because that's where I buy the whipping cream for Naomi's diet. After Walmart we went to Aldi's (everyone know Aldi's? pay a quarter for a cart, bag your own groceries, cheap) they had the 36% whipping cream cheaper than Walmart, it only figures out to about 18 cents cheaper but with as much as we're going to be buying that will add up! There's always Amish at Aldi's, that tells you it's a bargain hunters paradise. The Amish man I saw had no fewer than a dozen jars of peanut butter. This I can understand. I've never understood why they buy saltine crackers like crazy. Usually I see an Amish lady with a whole cart full of crackers, like dozens. How much can you do with crackers. One of these times I'm going to just ask what's up with that!
I finally found some pure vanilla extract that didn't contain corn syrup at another store.
But best of all!!!! This bought a tear to my eye!!!! I was low on gas so I stopped to fill up and it only cost me $21.50 to completely fill my car up! Two months ago it would have been double that! Plus when I decided to stop on $21.50, it was easy, the numbers didn't keep jumping like crazy because each drop costs so much!
I bought acorn and butternut squash to cook for Naomi. Any ideas how to cook them without any seasoning, oil or butter. The no butter thing is killing me. She can have butter she's just got to have an exact amount. I want to cook everything until it's dripping in butter.

1 comment:

Fawn said...

You'd think erring on the side of a little extra fat wouldn't be SO bad, hunh? :) Damn the extra calories. I'd try cutting and seeding them, then rosting them cut-side down until they're tender.

I suppose they could probably be cut into chunks and steamed, too, which would give them some added moisture without the fat.