Saturday, November 1, 2008

My new internet friend... Ketocalc!

The hospital that has started Naomi on the Ketogenic Diet is enrolled with Ketocalc . It's an online way for me to make up meals for Naomi and then I email them to the dietitian for approval. It has standard meals set up like Cheese/Vegetable. I can go on there and it tells me her calorie level, Ratio and meals per day. Then it gives me a recipe. Basically it's Cream, 10% fruit, American cheese and Oil. I put the oil in her cream and she drinks it right down. I could tweak it if I want, change the type of cheese, change the oil to mayo or butter or some other fat. Then just send it to the dietitian for approval. I'm so glad to have this tool. The dietitian and I already made up 10 meals for her and she's eating every bite of everything we put in front of her. She definitely loves the cream. She can have 3 ripe black olives as a free food per day and for 2 days we gave her them at night. She loved them. I held them last night because her ketones were a little lower than they'd been in the hospital, but she still did fine. If we can just keep her busy, keep her away from home or outside she doesn't think about being hungry too much. The minute you step in the kitchen though, she's right there, standing at the gate waiting to see what you're gonna do.
I got up earlier with her this morning and fed her and her brother about 8 while Bill slept in. When he woke up he was hungry so he fixed himself sausage and eggs. I found him sitting on the downstairs toilet, hiding, eating his breakfast. He feels so guilty about eating in front of Naomi. I just stand at the kitchen counter with my back turned toward her. I try to make Isaiah eat when she does. Yesterday she finished before him and just stood there at the side of the table staring at him, just like a puppy, begging for food.

1 comment:

Fawn said...

We are really struggling over here. Jade started off liking the cream but now gags on it. Michael wants to be firm and force her and I don't want it to be a power struggle because we won't win. We need to have a rational discussion and come up with a plan, but we're both so tired and cranky... what a weekend.