Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bowel Habits

Just put that title up so you'd know what you're in for! Like I said in an earlier post.. Naomi had a BM on Friday then on Wednesday when we got home I thought maybe she'd go when she relaxed at home. I waited a while and finally ended up giving her 1/2 a suppository to help her along. That night she went twice, very hard and dry and I'd say about 7 inches of packed poo! YUK and ouch! Then on Thursday she went again, this one was hard and it looked like a baseball had fell out of her bottom! It was THAT big, followed by soft stuff. Then Friday was much better, seizure wise but she didn't have another BM. So Saturday comes and she had 167 seizures in two clusters, by noon. Waited for her to go on her own and she didn't so I gave her another 1/2 suppository and she had about 15 hard big marbles. Today I waited, she's gassy, but nothing has come on it's own so I gave her another 1/2 suppository just to make sure everything keeps moving and still more hard marbles! Her seizures have been much better today also.


I've read that constipation can worsen seizures. I'm just glad I went ahead and ordered the Cal-Mag-Zinc the dietitian told me to get because that will loosen her bowel. There definitely seems to be a connection between her bowel habits and her seizures.
I've noticed that before a bad cluster, when her muscles REALLY spasm she gets warmer than normal. Not hot enough to be a fever but noticeably warmer. I GOOGLED "gets warmer with muscle spasms" and found a medical paper that said it was noticed in patients that there's a temperature rise with muscle spasms. I found a lot of Veterinarian sites that said the same thing about horses, cats and dogs. Why is it so easy to find info on animals? Easier than people!



The time change has her messed up! Instead of waking at 6 a.m. now she's up at 5 and that just makes it that much longer for her to wait to eat breakfast. Thankfully, morning is when she's least hungry. I'm trying to get her back on schedule. She stayed up later than normal last night but she still woke up at 5!

1 comment:

Fawn said...

Check out this stuff we got called PEG (Polyethylene Glycol): http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/459312

It's been around for a little while and is apparently the superstar of the GI world. We got a big canister of it and it is working such wonders, Jade is now on a half-dose. It's pretty much tasteless and mixes in well with her KetoCal -- I'm sure it would mix into cream just fine, too.

Jade was very constipated at the end of induction week, a problem she has rarely had in the past. When we gave her a suppository, it acted within minutes, but she had a really strange cluster of seizures while that was happening. I'd definitely agree there's a connection between troubles with BMs and seizures.