Monday, November 3, 2008

Foods on the diet

Luckily a lot of the foods on the diet Naomi already ate. She used to eat more fruit but she can still have fruit, just not so much. She's not big on drinking just water so thank goodness for Walmart's Free and Clear! It's flavored, carbonated water and she loves it. Lots of other stores have their own brand, she can have any of them. The nutrition label just needs to read 0 on everything.
She loves the whipping cream, even when I have to mix canola oil in with it! To make sure she gets every drop out of the sippy cup we just keep refilling it with the Free and Clear until all signs of cream are gone. When she's eating I have to keep the cup of cream in the fridge or she gets mad because she wants it! I don't know if it's because of the taste or because it is probably what fills her belly.
Last night we had pork chops and Naomi had pork chops too. She had to have a vegetable and fat with it so I gave her pumpkin with butter melted into it. My mom thought that sounded good. Naomi ate it like crazy. She'll eat plain pumpkin straight out of the can!
She's often hungry but if we can occupy her with something else she does fine. Sometimes she grabs her high chair and drags it across the dining room floor. It's not a subtle hint! Other times she grabs the dining room chair that I sit in to feed her and tips it back.
We've been surprised that the things on her diet are readily available. There was a lot of mention about coconut oil in books I read, but canola oil works fine too. If a recipe calls for soybean oil, I can go on Ketocalc and change the diet to something I have on hand like canola or vegetable, mayo or butter.
I looked around for 36%- 40% cream before we left. The Great Value brand of whipping cream at Walmart is 36% so that's easy enough, it's also the cheapest brand! Gordon Food Service, which sells larger bulk to restaurants and cafeteria's and such, has whipping cream that simply say 36% cream on the label, that's easy enough! I can add pure flavorings to her cream if needed to make it more appealing. I thought I'd have to order a flavoring that had 0 carbs but it ends up I can just buy McCormick brand pure extracts and they're everywhere!
So for us the diet and the needed foods have been exceptionally easy to get. Thank goodness for the flavored water!

No comments: