Friday, November 14, 2008

Tweaking

Naomi started out on a 3:1 ratio, 950 calories and 3 meals a day.
We added 100 calorie snack for bedtime to try to keep her ketones from vanishing over night.
Now I've talked to the dietitian and we've decided to bump her up to a 3.25:1 ratio and give her 1050 calories a day in 4 meals.
Naomi wakes up at 6 and goes to bed around 8 or 9 p.m. That's a long day (she does nap) so I think we'll try feeding her at 7 a.m., 11 a.m., 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. Or something along those lines.
Hopefully that and the extra fat will keep her fueled throughout the day and night.
Her ketones are 0-5 in the morning! They creep up to about 15 by 10:30 then in the afternoon about 3 or so they're up to 80 but then they sometimes sink back down!
It's so frustrating because I know the ketosticks don't accurately show what her blood levels are. You'd really think there'd be a better way!
I just really want to make sure she has the best go at the diet. I don't want to put her through all this for nothing and most of all I don't want to have to put her on Dilantin! It scares me! After our first visit with our current neurologist they had given me a list of all the drugs used for seizures and I looked them all up. Beside Dilantin I wrote "NO WAY"! God help us if we get to that!!!

No comments: