Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ketones

Naomi's ketones were low this morning, at about 15 when they should be up more like 80. So I didn't feed her breakfast. I checked her urine 3 hours after she woke and her ketones had actually lowered to just "trace". I called the RN who's in charge of the Ketogenic Diet and left a message saying "how can I hold all food from her and her ketones go down?". She called me back and we went over some things and she thinks it's not that her body is showing it's not burning fat because it's burning carbs, more likely she's going too long between supper and breakfast and it's her own protein or muscle that she's been burning so we're going to add a night time snack of about 100 calories. Maybe try to keep her ketones up that way. Feed the fire a little more. Her seizures have been relatively lighter, except after her 2nd nap today (she was sleepier than normal, of course she's up at 5 a.m.!) she had 43 seizures mostly like stomach spasms that made her head drop too. She didn't mind them too much but was a little out of it afterward. I fed her what should have been breakfast at 11 a.m. after I talked to the nurse then I went ahead and made her an eggnog shake at 3 to make up for her missed meal today, and she gulped it down and screamed when it was all gone. I checked her ketones and they're back up to about 80! So I think it definitely was just that she wasn't getting enough. I'm so glad we can feed her more ! We won't have to take 100 calories away from her meals to make up for the snack.

1 comment:

Fawn said...

That's great news!